Tuesday 12 June 2018

Quickfire E3 Press Conference Impressions


Like the title says, and in somewhat chronological order. Let’s go!

EA: I think this whole show was basically, “Sorry about the loot boxes; we’re gonna figure out another way to take your money.”

There was some discussion about the Respawn Star Wars game, titled Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, so that’s pretty interesting (mostly because it sounds like a single-player, story-driven game instead of everything else Star Wars EA have been putting out recently). It takes place between Episode III and Rogue One, and I desperately hope it stars Ahsoka.

Unravel Two came out during the presser! I loved the first Unravel a lot, so I will probably grab this pretty soon.

Sea of Solitude looks pretty neat as well. A game about how loneliness and depression can turn us into monsters, which sounds very interesting.

Also, lots of sports things and shooty things (I say this like I don’t care about FIFA, Madden, and Battlefield), and a whole lot of Anthem, which is what Bioware is working on instead of Mass Effect.

Microsoft: That Cyberpunk 2077 trailer, yo! It looks pretty sweet, and I hope it’s not just a GTA clone with some cyberpunk aesthetics. I hope it’s a legit cyberpunk game and I’ll get to hack brains, break into megacorp HQs, and augment myself to my heart’s content. Basically, I hope it’s better than Deus Ex.

There was also a new Halo and a new Gears of War announced, but I don’t really care. The only other things that I actually cared about were Frozen being confirmed in a new Kingdom Hearts III trailer, and Microsoft announcing they had purchased Ninja Theory (Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice) and Compulsion (the upcoming We Happy Few), which makes me sad because it means any new games from those two studios will be Xbox exclusives (which Microsoft needs desperately, but not great for me as a PS4 owner).

Devolver Digital: These dudes are nuts. I think they showed two games, but games aren’t why you watch a Devolver Digital presser. You watch it because they are insane.

Bethesda: I feel bad that nobody cared about Andrew WK. Most of this show was about the already announced Fallout 76, which is going to be an MMO of sorts. But the things that popped out for me were the new Wolfenstein sequel starring BJ’s twin daughters, Youngblood (not to be confused with the horrible Leifeld comic of the same name), and Fallout: Shelter coming to the Switch for free (I already downloaded it).

Also, we still know nothing about Starfield.

There was also a pretty funny skit about Bethesda’s constant re-issuing of Skyrim on different platforms starring Keegan-Michael Key.

Square Enix: Did you even show anything new, Squenix? Everything in your show had already been shown before, with the exception of The Quiet Man, which was like a minute long and had no real information. But hey, more Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Kingdom Hearts III gameplay!

Ubisoft: No Aisha Tyler and no Splinter Cell?! What even was the point of you?!

Okay, the point of you was Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey, which does look pretty interesting. Apparently, they’ve Mass Effect-ed AC up a bit, in which you can make decisions that affect the storyline, you can play as either gender, and you can romance anybody. This might be the first AC game I actually play because it’s an open-world RPG.

And Beyond Good and Evil 2 looks really cool.

Also, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Elijah Wood were on stage for some reason.

PC Show: I only play point-and-click, turn-based, or VN games on PC because my fingers don’t know how to do fast things with a mouse and keyboard. And even then, I often wait for these games to get ported to a console so I can use a controller, which I am way more comfortable with. But, as has been repeatedly pointed out to me, I can get a Steam controller for my PC and just game that way. So, I’ve been paying more attention to PC games (and I even have a Steam account now), and there were some things here that looked pretty good.

Untitled Publisher (that’s a pretty sweet name, actually) unveiled three new games, one of which is a turn-based fighting game with Scott Pilgrim-style art called Bravery Network Online, and it looks pretty cool. Who knew I needed a turn-based fighting game in my life? They also showed Overwhelm, which looks like a pixel-art, monochrome Metroidvania and is available right now. I will probably get it when it’s ported to the Switch.

Raw Fury’s two games look completely different and utterly beautiful. Night Call is a narrative noir game about a Parisian cabbie all in heavy black and white, while Sable is an open-world exploration game that looks like a Herge comic crossed with a Ghibli cartoon, and then you play it. They both also had awesome music.

Also, Sega are porting six of their more recent games to the PC, like the Shenmue and Yakuza games, if that’s a thing you care about.

And there’s an open-world action RPG where you play as a shark and eat people. It’s called Maneater, and yes, this is a real thing.

Sony: Ah! All the things were exciting!

They showed off some gameplay from The Last of Us Part II, and it looks amazing! And Ellie’s queer! 

Yay!

Ghost of Tsushima looks amazing! I was afraid this was going to be a From Software-style game and super hard, but no, it looks like a more traditional action game with samurai! Yes!

Resident Evil 2 Remake! What?! That’s amazing! I may actually play Resident Evil 7 now, since this remake looks to be using the same engine, though I’m pretty sad that we’re almost certainly losing the static camera angles from the original.

Another Kingdom Hearts III trailer, this time premiering Pirates of the Caribbean gameplay (man, this game was everywhere).

Another trailer for Kojima’s Death Stranding, and I still have no idea what the fuck it’s about, but I am nevertheless ridiculously excited for it. Norman Reedus seems to be a deliveryman of some kind, and I think he delivers everything, from chow mein to babies, so there’s that. But that toenail scene freaked me out way more than the monsters.

And then we end with Spider-Man, which showed a lot of gameplay. The web-based traversal looks great, and the combat is very Arkham-like, which makes me happy. I have been looking forward to this game since E3 2017.

Nintendo: SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE!!!! It has every character that has ever appeared in a previous Super Smash Bros titles, including non-Nintendo characters like Cloud, Snake, and Ryu, and new characters the Inkling kids, Daisy, and motherfucking Ridley! And it’s coming out 7 December!

But no Metroid Prime 4! Actually, this was a pretty dang short Nintendo Direct, with very few game announcements (that weren’t JRPGs or Super Mario Party), and no 3DS games at all, which was weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment