Wednesday 19 June 2019

Video Game Round-Up! - May/June 2019


Hello everyone! I’m back with another regular installment of Video Game Round-Up! This is a bit late because of the E3 Special I put up last week and I didn’t want to upload both too close each other. I didn’t play a lot of games last month, however, as I was away for a week and a half, and then it was E3 week when I watched a bunch of games instead of playing them, and then the girl decided she wanted to finally play Gris, so I decided to read a bunch of comics on the bus, and then we had to do a lot of writing. So yeah, only five games this month :D

Onward!

Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (PS4) - Before going on my trip, I played the latest Lost Tale of Greece quest about a dude impersonating Kassandra, and the profoundly stupid people who believed the impersonator and then died in some profoundly stupid ways because of it. I mean, one person literally rode a horse off a cliff because she thought it would turn into a pegasus after feeding it some special flowers. Just profoundly stupid. It was kind of funny, but it wasn’t anything too special.

After the trip, the second episode of second DLC dropped, and I played a bit of it. It takes place in Hades’ Realm, so another new area to explore. Because it’s another land of the dead, you will encounter more people you killed or otherwise died in the main game. This realm is a lot less vertical than Elysium, which made me happy because there’s a lot less climbing to do. There’s a cool mechanic in this game with rifts that you have to close, but you can only close them when you enter them and murder four or five dudes who are trying to escape through the rift. But you can only hit them when you enter the rift; they can hit you before you enter the rift. It’s even more interesting when there are two or more rifts near each other, and you have to sneak around different sets of dudes you can’t hit, enter a rift, murder only the dudes from that rift, then do it again. I’m not explaining it very well, but it’s pretty cool. Also, your first fight is against Cerberos. I haven’t finished this DLC yet, but I plan to before the next one comes out in July.

Yoshi’s Crafted World (Switch) - I played through a bunch more levels and grabbed a bunch more adorable costumes, but I am still trying to 100% this thing, so I got stuck in a few worlds as I tried to grab every single flower, and some of those flowers are damn hard to get.

The Red Strings Club (Switch) - I only played a bit of the beginning of this before the girl decided she wanted to start playing Gris (so I immediately gave her the Switch because I very much want to support this kind of behavior), but it has a pretty intriguing story. It seems to be mostly a visual novel with a bunch of mini-games that maybe will never be repeated again? I’ll keep you posted on this once the girl finishes Gris (and possibly also Undertale).

Observation (PS4) - This game is really good, and is an early contender for my Best of the Year list! You play as the AI of a space station orbiting Earth where something has gone horribly wrong (and you are possibly responsible for it). I don’t want to say too much about the narrative because I don’t want to spoil it, but it has shades of both 2001: A Space Odyssey and Event Horizon, and it is fantastic. The gameplay is very puzzle heavy, and a lot of them have a pretty awesome DOS-like interface in which you, as the AI, have to fix various things on the station. Seriously, play this game. It’s available on PS4 and PC, so all you PS4 and PC players, get this game.

Contra Anniversary Collection (Switch) - During E3, a new Contra game was announced for Switch, but also announced at the same time was the Contra Anniversary Collection, and it was available immediately. So I downloaded it immediately. I played through the original NES Contra and guess what? The Konami code totally still works! And I totally needed it because even though I used to be able to beat the entire game without losing a single life (this was like 25+ years ago), that is no longer the case. I went through something like 45 lives to beat the game (so I had to continue once).

I also played through a bit of the Famicom Contra, which is basically the same game, but the Konami code doesn’t seem to work there. However, the Famicom version also has actual story, with cutscenes and text interstitials that I can’t read because they are Japanese. I assume the story is the same since the game is basically the same (only harder).

The Collection has 10 games total, but most of them are different versions of the same game from different regions/consoles. The full list is: Contra (Arcade), Contra (NES), and Contra (Famicom), Super Contra (Arcade) and Super C (NES), Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) and Super Probotector: Alien Rebels (SNES), Contra: Hard Corps (Genesis) and Probotector (Mega Drive), and Operation C (Game Boy). I’ll make my way through all of them eventually, but I will likely spend most of my time on Contra (NES) and get good enough to beat it without dying again.


And that’s it for this month! Yeah, not a lot of games, but there should be more next month as none of the things that kept me from playing games will be around this month (except maybe the girl playing more games on Switch, which again, I wholeheartedly support), so I will definitely get back to all of these games (except for Observation, which I beat already), as well as Yakuza 0 (PS4), start on Heaven’s Vault (PS4) (maybe), and Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch), which will be dropping at the end of the month.

Until next month, play more video games! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment