Saturday 15 February 2020

Video Game Round-Up! - January/February 2020


Hello! I didn’t play a lot of games this past month for various reasons, but mostly because I was overseas for like 10 days. Also, I’ve been watching a lot of Star Trek. Also also, I’ve been playing one game almost exclusively. You can probably guess which game that is :P

Now, on to the games!

The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt (PS4) - Yeah, it’s this game. All day, every day. I’m currently in Novigrad/Velen, about to take a ship to Skellige, but I’m still trying to do all the sidequests. Geralt’s in the middle of getting his CSI on, tracking a serial killer in Novigrad, right after finishing a bunch of horse races at the Vegelbud Estate, helping a friend get his cabaret up and running, and helping another friend track down Gwent cards. The varied side quest stories still amaze me.

And speaking of Gwent, man, that is a super fun card game! I thought I was going to hate it; do it the few times I would have to for story reasons, but otherwise not touch it. But dude, I really, really like Gwent! So much so, that I’m probably going to get Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (Switch), the story-driven Gwent-only spin-off game, at some point in the very near future (maybe after I finish this game). But in The Witcher III, I’m trying to grab every card I can find because I’m all about that CCG life.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) - A new challenger approaches! The final fighter from the first Fighters Pass DLC (the first? yes; more on that in a bit) is... yet another Fire Emblem character. It shouldn’t have been too surprising, since Byleth is the main playable character in the smash hit Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch), but since there are already seven, I (and many others) were hoping for something a bit more... unique. Dante from the Devil May Cry series had been long rumored, as well as Doomguy from the Doom franchise, Master Chief from the Halo series, the never-gonna-happen Waluigi, and many, many others, but nope. It was another Fire Emblem character. Fire Emblem is a game series I’ve never, ever played, and all of my knowledge of those games comes from Smash Bros. games.

Needless to say, I spent most of my time in SSBU this month grabbing all the associated spirits, which all also came from Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I also realized that, since I last played this, 21 other spirits had been released: four from Daemon X Machina (Switch), five from Tetris (NES), four from Pokemon Sword and Shield (Switch), four from the Resident Evil series, and four from Astral Chain (Switch). I grabbed the ones from Daemon X Machina and Tetris, but I have to wait for the others to join the regular rotation as I missed the events in which they were introduced. I didn’t, however, miss the events for the River City Ransom (NES) and Cuphead (Switch) spirits, four each. So my spirit count is now at 1,389 out of a total 1,401.

But let’s find out a bit more about this fighter.

Byleth: The playable character from the latest Fire Emblem game, Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Like many previous Fire Emblem games, Byleth can be either male or female, depending on a player’s choice, and both options are also available in SSBU. In Three Houses, Byleth can join one of three houses (hence the name), and these function sort of like Hogwarts houses before transforming into Westeros houses. At least, that’s how it’s been explained to me. Byleth is different from other Fire Emblem characters because they use a spear and a bow as well as a sword, making them play more like Link than the other FE characters. But yeah, I won’t be using them very often, or possibly at all now that I have all the spirits :D

Blood & Truth (PSVR) - I took a short break from The Witcher III over my birthday weekend to finally do some VR with the girl. We got our PSVR last year when we visited my family over the Thanksgiving period, but didn’t have a chance to play until now. We started with Blood & Truth, a gangland epic in which you play as the black ops agent who’s family is some kind of gang family. It’s basically an FPS, but in VR. The writing and story are pretty good, and the gameplay is decent. I first played it with a DualShock, but that was a bad idea. The game plays much better with the Move controllers (which are basically Wiimotes). That way, each hand can move independently of each other, and all the controls feel a lot more intuitive. Instead of pressing buttons on a Dualshock, you can point a Move controller to point a gun, grab a new magazine from your chest and put it in your gun like in one fluid motion. It’s pretty fun.

Movement in the game is still treated with button presses, however. You look in the direction you want to go, wait for the prompt to show, then press a button. I felt a bit disoriented because the character moves even though your feet are firmly planted. The girl reported she experienced some dizziness during these sections. I played through two of the levels while the girl played one. Dizziness and disorientation aside, we both had a lot of fun.

Everybody’s Golf VR (PSVR) - I didn’t play this one myself, but the girl did. She found it less fun than Blood & Truth, but that’s because she likes guns more than she likes golf clubs :P From what I saw, it plays like a standard golf video game, but uses your full body instead of controller. She did some practice rounds, getting to grips with the controls and button prompts, and even earned a few PS trophies :) I will play a bit of this myself at some point, and I can only hope it’ll be as fun as the golf game on WiiSports (Wii).


And that’s it! It was a short month, mostly used to play The Witcher III, and believe me when I tell you that will continue. I should be able to report on Skellige next month, which should be fun. I’ll also start something new on the Switch, but I’m not sure what yet. We’ll all find out together. Until then, play more video games!

No comments:

Post a Comment