Monday 16 March 2020

Video Game Round-Up! - February/March 2020


Hello! Welcome to another Video Game Round-Up! It may seem like I didn’t do a lot of gaming this past month from the quantity of games listed below, but that’s only because I’m still basically playing The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt almost exclusively. Also, I read two prose books and started writing a new Sherlock Sam book. I’m also still watching a lot of Star Trek.

But enough of reasons of why I didn’t play more games, on to the games!

The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt (PS4) - I beat the main story of this game after deciding the Skellige isles’ new ruler, finding Ciri, beating the smack out of the Wild Hunt, and literally deciding the future of the continent. I also won a Gwent tournament, did every side mission I could find in the base game, did every witcher contract in the base game (I know, because I got a trophy for it), and finished every treasure hunt to find all the witcher school diagrams. I think I did everything I possibly could in the base game (except do all the question marks and find all the Gwent cards; I did not realize I had to play every person who could possibly be played, and now I can’t remember who I’ve already played :P ).

I keep saying “base game” because after that, there are two huge bits of DLC for me to finish. I started Hearts of Stone, the first DLC, and I was initially unimpressed. The writing for the base game is so good, especially the side quests, that after doing a few Hearts of Stone side quests, I thought maybe the writers had changed or something. But then I did more of the main story, and dude, it’s really good! There’s this creepy character from the very beginning of the base game that I had almost forgotten about. When they show up again in Hearts of Stone, I was initially confused, and then amazed. I look forward to seeing how this all pays off.

I do have to say, though, the obvious Middle Eastern analogue characters, while not exactly racist (I don’t think, anyway; I am open to being told I’m wrong), are making me a bit uncomfortable. I hope more varied characters from this region are introduced so that they’re not all somewhat nefarious dark-skinned folk with “funny” accents.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch) - I’ve been playing this on and off, mostly to keep getting the new Spirits that show up, and the ones I missed from before. I got the four from Pokemon Sword and Shield (Switch) and the four from the Resident Evil series that I missed before, as well as the two new Warframe (PC) Spirits (one of which is an enhanced version of the first, so make sure you level up the first one and then enhance it), and the three new Ring Fit Adventure (Switch) Spirits, including the Ring, who will hopefully tell me my sweat is shiny and beautiful while I’m playing SSBU too.

However, I haven’t been able to get the four Spirits from Astral Chain (Switch) yet, for some frickin’-frackin’ reason, and it’s driving me nuts. So my Spirit count is currently at 1402 out of 1406. Frickin’-frackin’.

Ring Fit Adventure (Switch) - And speaking of my sweat being shiny and beautiful, I did some more exercise! Yay me! But, you know, not enough to counteract all that Mexican food I’ve been eating, so I should definitely do more.

Yeah, I totally should...

Final Fantasy VII Remake Demo (PS4) - I took a short, one-night break from The Witcher III to play the demo of this beautiful and amazing game. Final Fantasy VII (PS1) was the first JRPG I ever played (and the first RPG period) thanks to my good friend lending me his PS1 (I never owned one) so I could play the whole thing over a summer vacation from school (I’m shouting him out here: his name is Chris Sarda, and I love him for lending me his PS1 so I could play a bunch of games at home). I love that game a whole lot, and it’s my favorite Final Fantasy out of all of them (and one of the three I’ve actually completed, though I’ve gotten pretty far in another four). The demo only had the first Mako reactor mission, and I only got to play as Cloud and Barret, but dude, the combat in this remake is awesome. It’s a mix of mostly real-time and some turn-based combat, and I love it! And everyone looks amazing, and I think I’m going to fall in love with this new and expanded Jessie and possibly also Biggs.

It’s coming out in slightly less than a month on 10 April, and I am super looking forward to it. I hope I’m done with The Witcher III by then :P


And that’s it! It’s a short write-up this month, but I promise I played a lot of The Witcher III. I hope that by this time next month, I’ll have finished both The Witcher III DLCs, finished the first Control (PS4) DLC, and started Final Fantasy VII Remake. And maybe some more Switch games :D

Until next month, play more video games!

No comments:

Post a Comment