Monday 20 August 2018

#TNGWatch #S01E05 #TheLastOutpost

First contact with the Ferengi! With Armin Shimerman somemore!

*    *    *

“We seek only what is equitable.” YESSSSSS....

*    *    *

Easily the best episode so far (though still not very good :P ). I had never actually seen this episode before, but the Ferengi’s first appearance is really weird. They were a lot more monkey-like in their movements, and what was up with those weird energy whip things they had? I much prefer the Ferengi built up in DS9 (perhaps later TNG episodes will lay the groundwork for this). Also, Quark > Letek, obviously. Still, a lot of what Ferengi are eventually codified as is present here: seeking profit, gold being a commodity, backstabbing, and that whole not clothing females thing (until Ishka, anyway).

Like I said, I’ve never seen this episode before, but I used to play the Decipher Star Trek CCG from like 20 years ago, and I have nearly every single card from every expansion, so even though I’ve never seen this episode, I recognized a lot of the images from it thanks to various cards. The Tkon portal guy I recognized instantly, as well as Data’s Chinese finger trap.

No comments:

Post a Comment