Sunday 14 October 2018

#TNGWatch #S02E14 #TheIcarusFactor

This is the one with Riker’s dad! I don’t remember if he had a beard as amazing as his son’s, though.

*    *    *

I feel really bad for the unnamed ensigns and staff in the background when the senior staff start getting into really personal stuff in front of them. If I were them, I’d be all, “Uh... Can I be excused please? This shit’s awkward as hell.”

Also, Riker the Elder does not have a beautiful beard, so I also don’t like him.

*    *    *

Chief O’Brien is laying down some wisdom for Riker in Ten-Forward about not being able to choose your family. I love you, Chief.

*    *    *

I don’t understand why parents think they can just breeze into their children’s lives after a long time with no contact and pretend like everything’s perfectly fine.

*    *    *

Sigh. What is it about fathers and sons and their inability to talk to each other? I mean, I know why, but we surely should have progressed past this toxic masculinity bullshit by the 24th century, no? Again, I understand the show was written in the 80s, which is why sexism and racism still exist well into this supposed utopian future like it ain’t no thing, but it gets tiring, especially when the whole episode is devoted to it in one form or another.

The b-story focused on Worf and his Rite of Ascension anniversary. It’s nice that The Boy went out of his way to figure out what was bothering Worf and attempt to give him at least a facsimile of what he wanted, but why invite Pulaski when she was just gonna turn her nose up at it like the bigot she is?

Ultimately, I was exasperated by this episode and the Rikers’ inability to have a regular fucking conversation. They ended up being okay after some ridiculous pseudo-Japanese martial art competition (the girl rolled her eyes so hard, she went blind for a bit) because that’s the only way men can get their feelings across: with a little bit of the old violence.

Again, sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment