Sunday 14 October 2018

#TNGWatch #S02E15 #PenPals

I think this is the one where Data saves a child by ignoring the Prime Directive. I think. We’ll find out!

*    *    *

Huh. Even Chief O’Brien outranks Worf.

*    *    *

Okay, seriously, if it’s only in place to not let you help people, then fuck the Prime Directive.

*    *    *

Picard does a better job of explaining the Prime Directive this episode than he did the last time, but I still call bullshit. The Prime Directive seems to be in place only to allow a starship crew to not blame themselves when they ignore a less advanced civilization’s very large problems. “The Prime Directive says I can’t help,” sounds an awful lot like, “I was just following orders.”

Ultimately, Picard chooses to ignore the Prime Directive and help Sarjenka and her people, but after Data brings her on board the Enterprise, Picard orders Pulaski to wipe her memories of ever meeting Data, which is just about the most unethical thing Picard has ever done. I understand the rationale, but I still call the hugest amount of bullshit. A person’s mind is sacrosanct, and you are not allowed to mess with the mind of a member of a less advanced civilization any more than a member of a more advanced civilization is allowed to mess with yours (like the Q, for example). It’s disgusting, and I can’t believe Data was the only person to not be so peachy keen with this (and I suspect if he hadn’t had the personal relationship with Sarjenka that he did, he probably would have been okay with it too).

You are very clearly violating a person’s right to choose, Picard, and this coming so soon after you so eloquently argued in defense of Data’s right to choose is just the most disappointing thing ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment